One of the crucial regularly requested questions I’ve acquired about our kitchen rework is how on earth to construct the floating cabinets which can be heavy-duty sufficient to carry dishware but in addition are bracket-free. Nicely mates, it’s fairly simple. And fairly cheap. Nicely price giving it a go in any kitchen.
The concept is fairly primary. So right here’s all the pieces you’ll want to know to construct your individual heavy obligation floating cabinets.
Use threaded rods inserted into each studs within the wall and into your floating shelf. In fact this isn’t the one strategy – you should utilize L-brackets within the wall like this, cleats like this, or a torsion field like this. All of those approaches will work, however we wished thinner floating cabinets, nothing wider than 1 half of″ inches, which meant these different choices wouldn’t work for us. So after a bunch of analysis, we went for the threaded rod strategy which appeared essentially the most strong for the look I wished. Right here’s what you’ll have to do your individual.
- 12″ lengths of 5/eight″ threaded rod – amount will depend on the variety of studs you must drill into
- 2×12 framing lumber, lower to the specified size of your floating shelf
- half of″ drill bit (lengthy sufficient to drill three″ into stud)
- 5/eight″ drill bit (lengthy sufficient to drill eight″ into shelf)
- epoxy or building adhesive (elective however really helpful)
- measuring tape
- stain and waterlox or polyurethane to seal the cabinets
The essential idea is to drill and insert the threaded rods into the holes within the studs. Then make corresponding holes within the shelf. Then slide (or pound) the shelf onto the rods.
Begin through the use of a degree to place a line in your wall the place your shelf will go. You’ll use this line to align your holes for the rods.
Subsequent drill use your half of″ drill bit to drill holes into the wall studs three″ deep, preserving the drill degree. Sure, want to make use of the half of″ drill bit on your 5/eight″ rod in order that they rods aren’t too unfastened. In any other case it received’t give any help. See the unfastened rod within the beneath pic (trace, second from left).
Chances are you’ll wish to take away the drywall to make sure you are drilling into the center of the stud, precisely. We did that and it was a straightforward patch (particularly when the patched areas have been then coated by tile). We additionally put in our cabinets first then tiled round them, however you are able to do it the opposite approach round, too.
As soon as your holes are drilled into the studs, pound the rods into the holes just a bit after which twist in the remainder of the best way, ensuring they’re straight and degree. As a result of they’re threaded they act like screws so you possibly can twist within the bigger rod into the smaller gap. We used vice grips. You may as well use building adhesive/epoxy within the holes to ensure the rods keep safe. We skipped that step and located that twisting the rods labored simply advantageous (and as soon as we began there was no simple approach these have been coming again out to permit use to insert epoxy).
Subsequent mark the place you’ll want to make corresponding holes in your shelf. We used primary measurements and held up our board to ensure issues would align okay.
Utilizing your 5/eight″ lengthy drill bit, drill about eight″ deep into the shelf for every of the rods. You need the bigger gap to permit for some play when placing the shelf in place.
When you’ve drilled your holes, slide the shelf onto the rods. Likelihood is the rods received’t be excellent so that you’ll want to make use of a mallet to hit the board onto the rods. Test for degree earlier than totally attaching the shelf – when you do there isn’t a straightforward strategy to pull the shelf again off (belief me on this).
Then end off your shelf by sanding it clean, staining if you need (we skipped that), and ending with waterlox or polyurethane. Watch for all the pieces to dry/treatment after which load that sucker up with all of your dishware.
Clearly we now have a TON of heavy dishes on our cabinets and so they haven’t budged. I’m type of considering that’s an excuse for me to have the ability to load these cabinets up much more – possibly a colourful dish set once I’m bored of white??
- Decide the straightest wooden you will discover. You need to use a better high quality wooden, however the framing lumber is cheap and works properly contemplating you principally simply see the entrance edge. Decide a bit with few knots, particularly on the uncovered edge, and nobody will discover that it’s framing lumber.
- Preserve you drill degree. Severely, don’t screw this one up. You need your holes within the studs and within the shelf to be as straight as potential, each up and down (for degree) and sideways (so that they slot in properly).
- It’s best to sand the shelf earlier than putting in it to maintain your home dust-free or in my case, rather less dusty than normal.
- You may end nevertheless you need – misery for a extra rustic end and even paint.
- In case you are having hassle with the holes aligning, you possibly can widen the opening within the shelf however not within the stud). You may as well use a hammer to pound the rod protruding of the stud up/down/sideways if needed.
- Take a look at match all the pieces and test with a degree earlier than utilizing any building adhesive or epoxy. Our suits have been so tight we didn’t trouble with both – and nothing is transferring.
- Caulk the place your shelf meets the wall for a extra completed look.
Actually, the method was fairly simple and the result’s precisely what we wished. So in case you’re in search of a bracket-free, heavy obligation floating cabinets, this can be a nice strategy to go!